Dr. Pamela Marrone is the founder and CEO of Marrone Bio Innovations, a company dedicated to finding practical, sustainable pest management solutions that are safe for people as well as the environment. She is also the founding Chair and former board member of the Biopesticides Industry Alliance, a cluster of over a hundred biopesticide and related companies. She currently serves as a member of the Board of Directors of the Foundation for Food and Agriculture Research as well as a member of the Board of Trustees for Cornell University.
Today, Dr. Pamela shares the mission behind Marrone Bio Innovations and how their products help farmers through environmentally-safe pest management solutions. She describes what drew her to founding the company and explains why biopesticides are critical for tomorrow’s world. She also enlighten us on the technical aspect of their products and provides examples of how their products can help farmers.
“There’s a lot more science and technology behind today’s biological products, so they are better than they have been in the past.” – Pamela Marrone
This Week on The Future of Agriculture Podcast:
• What the “biologicals” category is all about
• Why are chemical solutions still preferred over biologicals?
• Why “snake oil” products are all but gone.
• Limitations on biological pesticides.
• How they produce biological products.
• What it takes to get approval of their product.
• How they design their products according to storage, use, and user.
• How the agriculture and pest control industry has changed over recent decades.
• What are molluscicides and how do they work?
• The future products of Marrone Bio.
Pamela Marrone’s Words of Wisdom:
• Organic farming is difficult because of weed control, so expect biological weed control products to be a household name in the future.
• Many farmers are also fishermen, hence the need for solutions to water infestations.
• There are different residue rules between export and not export.
Connect with Dr. Pamela Marrone: