Intern – Microbiology
Location: MBI Headquarters, Davis, CA
Marrone Bio Innovations (MBI) is a global provider of natural products serving the ever expanding agricultural and water markets. Venture backed and headquartered in Davis, California, the company focuses on discovering, developing, and marketing natural pest management products for the effective control of pests, weeds, plant diseases, and invasive species.
We are looking for motivated individuals pursing a four-year degree in a microbiology-related discipline eager to gain hands-on experience in a laboratory setting.
Responsibilities and duties
- Prepare solid and liquid media following proprietary and commercially available recipes.
- Isolate microorganisms from a variety of environmental samples (soil, water, plants, insects) using plate dilution methods and proprietary methods.
- Obtain pure cultures from mixed culture plates, and avoid cross contamination whilst working with a variety of organisms at once (bacteria, actinomycetes and fungi)
- Produce bacterial, fungal and actinomycete liquid cultures in volumes ranging from 15 to 500 ml
- Autoclave cultures and media before disposal. Ensure all materials are disposed according to protocol.
- Perform total protein assays, enzyme activity assays, and SDS-PAGE.
- Prepare samples for proteomics, bioassay, etc., using standard biochemical methods.
- Assist with general microbiology and molecular biology techniques such as DNA extraction, PCR and gel electrophoresis.
- Maintain lab notebook and other records according to company policies
- Comply with all safety policies, practices and procedures,
- Perform general department maintenance: cleaning of shared lab space, autoclave maintenance, etc.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Currently working towards a Bachelor’s degree in biological sciences. Preferably, an emphasis in microbiology, biochemistry, plant pathology or a related field.
- Able to calculate figures and amounts such as area, length, and volume. Able to calculate and apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and statistical functions to practical situations.
- Possess intermediate personal computer skills including routine database activity, word processing and spreadsheets.
This position shall preferably have prior experience working in a laboratory setting, including hands-on experience with media and solution preparation, aseptic technique, operation of biohoods and autoclave, operation of pipettes and multichannel pipettes, sterile culture of microorganisms and operation of basic laboratory equipment (microscope, spectrophotometer, etc.). Experience working with plants is desirable.
Essential physical & mental functions
- The Microbiology Intern must have manual dexterity sufficient to handle small items and be able to perform light physical, non-strenuous daily activities of a productive/technical nature.
- Must be able to function in working conditions that are adequately lighted, moderately heated or air-conditioned, and in an indoor office, laboratory, and production setting.
- In the course of daily activities, interns may be occasionally required to lift up to 30 pounds, are frequently exposed disagreeable odors and may be exposed to toxic or caustic substances.
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions and changes in workload priorities, ability to prioritize tasks, ability to maintain confidentiality.
- This position is not eligible for any Company sponsored benefits, sick time, vacation accrual or holiday pay.
- The above is a list of essential duties and responsibilities for this position. This list is not all-inclusive. This job description may be modified as needed.
- MBI is an equal-opportunity employer. A pre-employment drug screen will be required.
Please submit cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org, referencing the job Intern – Microbiology.