Intern – Chemistry
Location: MBI Headquarters, Davis, CA
The Intern assists scientists with the development of process for the isolation, separation and purification of the targeted compounds from various microbial and plant sources. This is a great opportunity to obtain or utilize hands-on experience in a laboratory setting, including learning how to develop different types of extraction, samples preparation and purification methods.
Responsibilities and duties
- Participate in the extraction of fermentation broths to generate crude extract.
- Participate in the pre-fractionation of extracts and prepare samples for various bioassays.
- Participate in the bioassay-guided fractionation of crude extracts to isolate and identify active fractions.
- Properly prepare all kinds of samples for bioassays and all kinds of solutions.
- Assist in formulation development including weighing, processing and storing samples.
- Assist in formulation characterization such as pH, viscosity, density, particle size distribution, dispersion, and foaming.
- Accurately operate standard laboratory equipment (e.g., balances, pipettes, pH meter, etc.).
- Maintains a clean and safe laboratory work environment.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Document and maintain legible, accurate, and complete laboratory records.
- Chemistry, Biology and Pharmacology students are preferred.
- Preferred, but not required.
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Ability to understand a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Ability to accurately use standard laboratory equipment (e.g., balances, pipettes, centrifuges, etc.).
- Ability to follow an experimental protocol and read scientific literature.
- General chemistry knowledge.
- Basic computer skills including Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Good verbal and written communication skills and the ability to document accurate experimental observations and results. Must be interested in learning to develop different types of extraction, samples preparation and purification methods.
- Interns are occasionally required to lift up to 50 pounds, are frequently exposed to water, insects, air contamination such as disagreeable odors, and may be exposed to toxic or caustic substances.
Please submit cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org, referencing the job Intern – Chemistry.