Headquartered in Davis, CA, Marrone Bio Innovations (MBI) (NASDAQ: MBII) is a global provider of bio-based pest management and plant health products for the agriculture, turf and ornamental, and water treatment markets. The company’s effective and environmentally responsible biopesticides help customers around the world operate more sustainably while controlling pests, improving plant health, and increasing crop yields. Industry pioneers and experts in the field of natural products, MBI is dedicated to discovering, developing, and marketing better biopesticides that support a better tomorrow.
We are currently looking for a Cost Accountant. The Cost Accountant will be accountable for the ongoing analysis of process constraints, target costing projects, margin analysis, and tracing costs back to underlying activities. The Cost Accountant must also construct and monitor those cost-effective data accumulation systems needed to provide an appropriate level of costing information to management. This position will report to the Assistant Controller, and will interact closely with the Accounting Department as well as with the company’s Supply Chain and Manufacturing groups. The ideal candidate should be a highly motivated self-starter, a creative problem solver, with a strong desire to make an important contribution to the financial management of a dynamic and fast growing company.
- Construct data accumulation systems for a cost accounting system using Oracle
- Create and review the controls needed for data accumulation and reporting systems
- Planning, studying and collecting data to determine costs of business activity including inventory variances
- Assist with the coordination of physical inventory counts and cycle counts
- Assist with investigation of cycle counting variances and issue resolution
- Update standard costs in the bill of materials
- Review standard and actual costs for inaccuracies
- Validate the cost of goods sold as part of the month-end close
- Reconcile finished goods inventories
- Assist in month end close of the General Ledger
- Accumulate and apply overhead costs as required by generally accepted accounting principles
- Work with Supply Chain and Manufacturing to locate and dispose of obsolete inventory
- Identify and implement ongoing process improvements
- Report on breakeven points by product
- Report on margins by product and division
- Report on periodic variances and their causes, focusing in particular on spending variances
- Various analyses (LCM, Variance, E&O, etc.)
- Analyze changes in product design, raw materials, manufacturing methods or services provided, to determine effects on costs
Other Responsibilities may include:
- Perform accounting functions as assigned including, but not limited to recording journal entries, and preparing monthly account reconciliations
- Ensure accurate and timely monthly, quarterly, and year end close processes
- Take the lead in transforming the Company’s processes and procedures as the Company migrates from using third parties to manufacture its products to manufacturing in a Company owned facility
- Assist in the implementation and maintenance of SOX 404 including documentation of processes and procedures, and implementation of controls
- Assist in the preparation of the Quarterly and Annual Reports on Form 10-Q/K
- Protect organization’s value by keeping information confidential
- Traveling <5%
- Other duties as assigned
- 5+ years of accounting/finance experience with a minimum of 3 solid years of cost accounting in a manufacturing environment
- Bachelor or Master Degree in Accounting/Finance
- Must have a strong Cost systems background and have excellent analytical skills and sound understanding of accounting principals
- Computer Literate – Strong Excel skills and the ability to use Outlook and Word
- ERP Experience, preferably Oracle
- Experience working with engineering and manufacturing personnel on development and analysis of cost standards
- Ability to accurately prepare daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual reports
- Strong communication skills and ability to collaborate with a multi-department team
- Finance and Accounting related certifications and designations a plus
Essential Physical & Mental Functions
Given the nature of the Cost Accountant position it is critical that the person performing this duty has a great attention to detail and is able to concentrate for long periods of time and produce very high quality work product needing minimal review by management.
- Ability to concentrate for periods of 4 – 6 hours at a time
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to multi-task, work under pressure and meet deadlines required
- Ability to continually improve knowledge and understanding of accounting standards and stay abreast of ever changing accounting and reporting requirements
- Ability to communicate both internally and externally effectively
- Ability to review and self-check work for accuracy and create a high quality end work product
- Punctuality and regular attendance and long or evening/weekend hours when needed
- Some travel will be required to Michigan facility.
The individual should appreciate our entrepreneurial, fast-paced, agile, and dynamic work setting. He/she should be enthusiastic and energetic, goal-driven, and highly motivated to complete tasks in a timely, efficient manner. The candidate should also thrive in a strong team environment, be a self-starter and comfortable speaking up in company meetings.
An individual who is positive, interactive, resourceful and creative in problem solving by thinking “out of the box” will be highly valued in this role.
The salary range is competitive. MBI offers a comprehensive benefits package including stock options, a 401(k) plan with employer match, and a health plan including medical and dental coverage, life insurance coverage, long term disability, and a flexible spending account for child care or medical expenses. In addition, this position is eligible for an annual bonus plan tied to individual and company performance goals.
The above is a list of essential duties and responsibilities for this position. This list is not all-inclusive. This job description may be modified as needed.
MBI is an equal-opportunity employer. A pre-employment drug screen will be required.
Please submit cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org, referencing the job Cost Accountant.