Marrone Michigan Manufacturing LLC (M3) is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Marrone Bio Innovations, Inc. (NASDAQ: MBII), a leading global provider of biopesticides for agriculture, turf and ornamental, home and garden, and water applications.
The Bioprocess Engineer has responsibility and accountability for the assigned bioprocessing activities and achievement of the plant related business goals for his/her area of assigned responsibility. Under the guidance of the Production Leader, the role delivers hands-on Process Engineering, Environmental, Quality, and Operations support to an empowered, work process driven, manufacturing organization.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties
- Scale up microbial fermentation and plant-extracted biopesticide processes, downstream processes and formulations from pilot to manufacturing scale and to contract manufacturers.
- Support contract manufacturing operations including the transfer of processes, monitoring of day to day operations and coordination with Supply Chain for raw material requirements and product dispensation, as required.
- Optimize/improve existing and new manufacturing processes. Conduct COGs analysis.
- Act as the liaison between the Project team and the Contract Manufacturing Organization (CMO) or plant. Represent MBI’s interest at all times to the project team and ensure the operability of the project design.
- Assess toll manufacturing partners regarding plant-extract based products, and transfer processes from the company’s lab and coordinate with the contract manufacturer.
- Ensure that CMO operations comply with regulatory and permit requirements.
- Support in developing and implementing project pre-startup and startup plans and schedule.
- Source raw materials for product formulations, packaging, containers, etc.
- Assist with equipment specification, design, purchasing and on-boarding. Participate in plant layout reviews and approvals, and resolve safety and maintenance issues.
- Communicate with customers and vendors as needed in setting up specifications, addressing non-conformities, etc.
- Research and source equipment for new processes, process improvements and QC testing.
- Develop and maintain plant engineering and equipment specifications, process and instrument diagrams, process flow diagrams material balances, and other key documented process knowledge.
- Develop and improve operating standards and guidelines. Integrate quality in manufacturing process and products to drive continuous improvement.
- Design studies such as technology change evaluations for existing processes.
- Develop process qualifications based on internal procedures and quality requirements.
- Implement and manage systems to reduce variation, produce quality products, reduce inventory, reduce costs of operations, and meet customer needs. Interfaces with customers as required.
- Provide leadership and support through daily actions, coaching and guidance to the plant teams and individuals.
Additional responsibilities may include:
- As part of a team, troubleshoot processes, products and raw materials.
- Conduct training with manufacturing to commercialize new products and processes.
- Supports future product development process by providing scale-up support and manufacturability evaluations to the technical team.
- Ensures the linkages between plant operations and other functions are effective. (I.e. Operations Management (production scheduling), Maintenance, EH&S, Site Logistics & Supply Chain, Process Control, etc.)
- BS or MS in chemical engineering, biochemical engineering, or microbiology.
- Downstream processing experience, including spray drying, granulation and filtration.
- Excellent people skills and demonstrated ability to work on a team.
- Minimum 5 years of bio-based product manufacturing plant experience.
The salary range is competitive. MBI offers a comprehensive benefits package including stock options, a 401(k) plan with employer match, and a health plan including medical and dental coverage, life insurance coverage, long term disability, and a flexible spending account for dependent care and/or medical expenses. In addition, this position is eligible for an annual bonus plan.
The above is a list of essential duties and responsibilities for this position. This list is not all-inclusive. This job description may be modified as needed.
MBI is an equal-opportunity employer. A pre-employment drug screen will be required.
Please submit cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org, referencing the job Bioprocess Engineer.