Associate Research Scientist, Bioprocess Technology
Location: MBI Headquarters, Davis, CA
Reports to: Group Leader, Bioprocess Technology
Headquartered in Davis, CA, Marrone Bio Innovations (MBI) (NASDAQ: MBII) is a global provider of bio-based pest management and plant health products for the agriculture, turf and ornamental, and water treatment markets. The company’s effective and environmentally responsible biopesticides help customers around the world operate more sustainably while controlling pests, improving plant health, and increasing crop yields. Industry pioneers and experts in the field of natural products, MBI is dedicated to discovering, developing, and marketing better biopesticides that support a better tomorrow.
We currently seek an Associate Research Scientist to join the Bioprocess Technology team.
- Identify and implement bioprocessing materials, operating parameters, control schemes, and technologies to improve the performance of MBI’s proprietary production processes.
- Connect process data to the underlying physical, biochemical and physiological phenomena by applying expertise in metabolism and quantitative analysis.
- Transfer process technology to contract manufacturing facilities, including site visits
- Produce new cell banks for R&D and production
- Design, perform, analyze, and report on microbial fermentation experiments, using bioreactors at various scales.
- Maintain and/or calibrate process equipment and instrumentation, including tracking and traceability for GLP studies and preventive maintenance and calibration
- Prepare laboratory notebooks, technical reports, summaries, protocols, and methods for characterization of microbial production strains and manufacturing processes.
- Interact with Chemistry, Microbiology, and Formulation groups to promote seamless collaboration
- Maintain personal and shared work areas in clean and organized condition
- Set an energetic and enthusiastic tone to raise the group to a high-performance mentality
- Role may include management of junior personnel in the department.
- Other duties as assigned
Degree in (Bio) Chemical Engineering or related field with relevant work experience as follows: MS degree with 1+ years of relevant work experience, or a combination of academic training and relevant work experience that would be, at minimum, equivalent to these.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Expertise in bioprocess development, including fermentation and separations
- Fluency with instrumentation systems used in the life sciences
- Highly organized, extraordinary work ethic, disciplined, and punctual
- Outstanding communication skills: ability to maintain strong communication in all directions.
- Quantitative orientation – able to apply statistical measures to test hypotheses effectively.
- Knowledge of microbial physiology of Gram-negative and Gram-positive bacteria, including filamentous bacteria, and fungi.
- Strong, hands-on mechanical skills – ability to diagnose a wide variety of equipment malfunctions and make repairs
- Experience writing standard operating procedures (SOP) concerning biotechnology equipment.
- Hands-on experience operating lab fermentors and scale-up of production from shake flask culture to fermenter culture.
- Experience in technical transfer of manufacturing process to contract manufacturing facilities a plus.
- Energetic and self-motivated individual able to work in a fast-paced team environment with an ambitious schedule
- Capable of delivering high quality scientific presentations to both internal and external conferences. Experience managing a team of junior scientific personnel a plus.
- Knowledge of design of experiments (DOE) methodology for optimizing performance.
- Excellent analytical, organizational and multi-tasking skills.
- Proficiency in good record keeping, writing technical reports and SOPs.
- Excellent technical software skills, including Office (VBA automation a plus), database software, and SCADA software.
The individual should appreciate our entrepreneurial, fast-paced, agile, and dynamic work setting. He/she should be enthusiastic and energetic, goal-driven, and highly motivated to complete tasks in a timely, efficient manner. The candidate should also thrive in a strong team environment, be a self-starter and comfortable speaking up in company meetings. An individual who is positive, interactive, resourceful and creative in problem solving by thinking “out of the box” will be highly valued in this role.
The salary range is competitive. MBI offers a comprehensive benefits package including stock options, a 401(k) plan with employer match, and a health plan including medical and dental coverage, life insurance coverage, long term disability, and a flexible spending account for dependent care and/or medical expenses. In addition, this position is eligible for an annual bonus plan.
The above is a list of essential duties and responsibilities for this position. This list is not all-inclusive. This job description may be modified as needed.
MBI is an equal-opportunity employer. A pre-employment drug screen will be required.
Please submit cover letter and CV to email@example.com referencing the job above.