Associate Research Scientist Chemistry
Marrone Bio Innovations is a publicly traded company (NASDAQ symbol “MBII”) in Davis, California, that discovers, develops, manufactures and markets effective and environmentally responsible bio-based products for pest management and plant health.
MBI is currently seeking to hire an Associate Research Scientist to join our Chemistry Team. He/she will be part of our team responsible for the development of process for the isolation, purification and identification of the targeted compounds from various microbial and plant sources. He/she will assist in the design of experiment(s), and other research studies according to specific project goals and research objectives.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Participate in the development of processes for the isolation, separation and purification of targeted compounds from various microbial and plant sources.
- Develop, optimize and validate analytical methods to analyze and characterize samples using HPLC, LCMS, and GCMS in addition to routine laboratory equipment (e.g., balances, pipettes, centrifuges, etc.).
- Develop and optimize methods for semi-quantitative and quantitative analysis for metabolomics and lipidomic analysis using GCMS and LC-MS/MS.
- Design and independently perform tasks and provide accurate and timely results.
- Understand a variety of instructions delivered in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Effectively plan work schedule and able to utilize resources for timely completion of assigned projects.
- Extract, perform pre-fractionation of extracts and prepare samples for various bioassays.
- Conduct experiments to isolate and identify active fractions.
- Document and maintain legible, accurate, and complete laboratory records.
- Assist in writing reports and protocols, including SOPs and methods.
- Effectively organize, prioritize and follow-up on work assignments.
- Maintain an accurate and up to date, witnessed written account of experimental protocols and results.
- Familiar with the use of standard laboratory equipment and working knowledge of analytical instruments, including HPLC, GCMS, LCMS are a must.
- Train, mentor, and assist junior staff.
- Maintain a clean and safe laboratory work environment.
- Perform effectively in a multitasking and fast-paced work environment.
- Promote a cohesive team environment.
- Work independently and as a member of a team.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Other duties as assigned.
- The successful candidate should have a M. S. in Chemistry, Biochemistry, or Analytical Chemistry with preferably 1-3 years of work experience with a basic understanding of Natural Products Chemistry.
- Hands-on experience with relevant separation methods, including centrifugation, liquid-liquid and solid-liquid extractions, fractionation, chromatography (Column chromatography, preparative HPLC).
- Strong familiarity with analytical instruments & techniques including chromatographic (LC and GC) in conjunction with spectrometric methods (LC-MS, GC-MS, LCMS/MS).
- The candidate is expected to have good organizational and record keeping skills and the ability to work effectively in a multi-project team-focused environment and to collaborate with colleagues to achieve goals.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience writing scientific documents.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft suite of programs: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project, Outlook and Adobe
The individual should appreciate our entrepreneurial, fast-paced, agile, and dynamic work setting. He/she should be enthusiastic and energetic, goal-driven, and highly motivated to complete tasks in a timely, efficient manner. The candidate should also thrive in a strong team environment, be a self-starter and comfortable speaking up in company meetings.
The above is a list of essential duties and responsibilities for this position. This list is not all-inclusive. This job description may be modified as needed.
MBI is an equal-opportunity employer. A pre-employment drug screen will be required.
Please submit cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org, referencing the job Associate Research Scientist Chemistry.